Whenever I make this dish for a gathering, the very first question I’m asked is: is this mutton or chicken keema?
It is neither. When I tell them it is 100% vegetarian, no one believes me. This is a vegetarian version of minced keema.
Keema matar is a fine delicacy which is prepared all over India, but it is made with either minced lamb or minced chicken. This version is for all my vegetarian friends and it is made with minced soya granules.
Soya nutrela tastes great with rice or rotis. Besides being healthy, this dish is rich in protein. For every 100 grams of soya nutrela there is 52% of protein as compared to 22% of protein in meat, 14% in eggs, and 12% in wheat. This is perfect for those who want a healthier, vegetarian lifestyle but don’t know how to get enough protein in their diet!
I’ve surprised my friends with this dish, and now it is your turn to surprise yours!
- 1 packet nutri granules (soak them for 1 hour beforehand in water)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large tomato (finely chopped)
- 2 large green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp dry coriander powder
- 1 tsp meat masala (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbs oil
- 1 cup green peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Heat the pan and add in oil.
- Add in minced garlic and stir until brown.
- Add cumin and stir until brown.
- Add in onions and green chilies and stir until brown.
- Add in the rest of the dry spices except for the garam masala. Stir and add in tomatoes. Let it cook well till the gravy turns into smooth texture.
- Strain the nutris and add them to the mixture. Lower the heat, cover, and let it cook.
- Add in green peas and continue to let it cook for a few minutes. Add in some water to keep it moist.
- After some time, uncover the pot and check the peas. If they are cooked, turn off the heat and add in the garam masala.
PS – Garam masala is always added the last as it does not need to be cooked. Plus, this way, the flavor stays longer.
Serves: 5 – 6 people